- Mr J Hampton (HoD)
- Mrs K Clements
- Mr A Maguire
This course is designed for learners who are interested in learning about the scientific sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses.
- Equivalent to one A-Level.
- Four units taken over the course of 2 years
- Units 1 and 3 are externally assessed by examination.
- Unit 2 (mandatory) and unit 15 (optional) are coursework based and assessed internally with external moderation.
Units covered in Year 13:
- Unit 1: Principles and Applications of Science
- Unit 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
Units covered in Year 14:
- Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills
- Unit 15: Electrical Circuits and their Application
Learners develop the transferable and higher order skills which are valued by higher education providers and employers. For example, when studying Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills, learners will develop skills including how to plan investigations, collecting, analysing, and presenting data and communicating results which support some of the skills learners need to progress to higher education, employment, self-employment or training.
The qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as contributing to meeting admission requirements for many courses if taken alongside other qualifications as part of a two-year programme of learning.